Visitors to British Airways i360 can take to the skies and see Brighton and the south coast as they have never seen them before. Guests glide up slowly from ground level to 138m (450ft) to enjoy breathtaking 360° views from the world’s tallest moving observation tower, conceived and designed by Marks Barfield Architects, creators of the London Eye.
We are looking for an experienced Sales and Events Manager who will have full accountability for the operation and development of the events business at the BAi360. You will build, manage and develop the team to deliver superb corporate and private events.
You will develop a clear sales strategy to grow the business through proactive selling, effective marketing, and networking. This must include maximising the usage of all potential event space available, including both the internal and external: event rooms, lower terrace, and upper deck.
You will be responsible for selling events, functions, and weddings to new and existing clients, maintaining, and building positive, long term relationships with clients.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Responding to and tracking new enquiries, following up leads and showing clients around the venue.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of all the events spaces at British Airways i360.
- Develop a clear and appropriate marketing plan for the events business to promote the facilities / events opportunities and maximise profitable revenue.
- Creating bespoke events proposals and packages.
- Customer Service should always be the primary focus. Continually review and improve to ensure positive customer feedback.
- Collaborating with hotels and trialling new strategies to increase awareness and business with conferences and corporate visitors
- Ensure that the event space is correctly equipped and fully functional at all time and that standards of presentation of always high.
- Negotiating prices with suppliers to provide services and equipment for events
- Effective and efficient communication is a vital aspect of this role;
- with the catering and events team to keep them involved, informed and motivated
- with other Departments to ensure the whole business is aware of events activities
- with the COO to keep him fully briefed on all aspects of the events business
- Ensure that the business is structured with effective processes and procedures in place that are fit for purpose.
- As the event business grows and as additional roles are required, the Events Manager will be responsible for recruiting and then managing an events team: sales executive / sales co-ordinator.
- Entering bookings, data and detailed function sheets into CRM system
- Generating and issuing contracts and invoices
- Lead by example and demonstrate the five company values, inspiring other to follow and do the same.
- Leadership – to actively lead the events team, being high profile, leading from the front as required and setting the standards for the business from which others can follow. Engender a positive and constructive team spirit which motivates the team and drives a high-performance culture.
- Act as a coach, mentor or support to the team, as required to extract the best from the team as a collective and as individuals.
- To conduct induction training, refresher training, regular appraisals, and support with personal development plans to ensure the team continually grow and develop in line with company goals and values.
- Take a lead and work with the marketing team to ensure that an appropriate and cost-effective marketing strategy is developed and delivered to help build awareness and grow the business for the events business.
- Ensure that all aspects of the business are always clean, safe and legal.
- Be aware of and manage all risk associated with business activity including; commercial, legislative, fire, theft, security, reputational. Fully comply with all statutory regulations, ensuring that all required licenses and qualifications are all in place and valid.
- Ensure that all H&S requirements are fully met, with relevant training given to staff, with associated paperwork maintained and available in line with best practise.
- Ensure that the events team comply with all company policies and procedures
- Develop and utilise a strong local network to gain market insight and business support the events business, as well as regular local market / business feedback.
- Produce regular reports on activity and achievement to allow the business to fully understand the activities of the events business., and to outline future plans. Identify and report against clear KPIs.
- Make things happen. Be innovative and act with pace to drive business improvements, always considering the guest experience and ROI.
- Develop monthly budgets for revenue along with monthly forecast for costs and profit.
- Monitor and manage performance on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Ensure costs are controlled within agreed budgets.
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required and that fall within the scope and range of the job.
Qualities / Skills Required:
- To have an excellent knowledge, understanding and experience of operating the events business. To have a quantifiable track record of success in this area of business.
- To be customer focused
- Have experience of closing sales, winning new business, closing sales and contract negotiation.
- Be commercially minded and understand the importance of ROI.
- Be confident and natural at networking.
- An outgoing, motivational leader that can lead by example and gain the trust and confidence of their team
- An excellent communicator both internally and externally.
- Internally with their own team, other teams across the business, and with senior management
- Externally with clients, suppliers, third part operators, and other key city and sector contacts.
- Be numerate and have good financial understanding of all numbers including P&L and cashflow.
- To have good command of the English language with the ability to write concise, accurate and informative reports.
- Be able to stand back and see the big picture, whilst also being able to know and work the detail of the business.
- Have good self-awareness and be able to react appropriately to different situations.
- To be highly self-motivated and resilient.
- Have strong organisational skills and the ability to prioritise workload and tasks effectively, allowing for, but minimising, reactivity.
- To have a sound working knowledge of all systems required in an events business. Be experienced in using and have competence with Microsoft Office, CRM systems events booking systems such as Rendezvous.
Job location and hours
This is a full-time role based at British Airways i360, Lower Kings Road, Brighton BN1 2LN.
£36,000 to £42,000 pa
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com by 13th August, 2021.