British Airways i360, the world’s tallest moving observation tower, is offering an exciting opportunity for an experienced technician to join our team. As part of a team, you will be responsible for a safe, secure, clean and reliable operation for the enjoyment of all of our visitors.
This role encompasses the maintenance and facilities for the world’s first vertical cable car, a 1,500 square metre beach building and an off-site warehouse. It also includes support for all on-site services such as Intruder and fire alarm system, CCTV systems, maintenance of the vertical cable car system, electrical and mechanical systems and services and IT.
The ideal candidate will have either a facilities maintenance or engineering background, ideally gained in a fast paced customer facing environment and will be a team player willing to much in help to make sure we always keep the operation running.
Experience of maintaining rides in a visitor attraction would be particularly desirable. You will also have the aptitude to take on board new technical information swiftly.
This role includes a considerable amount of manual handling and physical exertion. You must be physically fit and will be required to undertake a medical (including a drug and alcohol test) before taking up the role.
About British Airways i360
Visitors to British Airways i360 can take to the skies and see Brighton and the South Coast as they have never seen them before.
Guests glide up slowly from ground level to 138m (450ft) to enjoy breathtaking 360° views from the world’s tallest moving observation tower, conceived and designed by Marks Barfield Architects, creators of the London Eye. In a fully enclosed, futuristic glass viewing pod, up to 200 visitors can admire the views across Regency Brighton, the South Downs and the beautiful Sussex coastline. On board the pod, they can enjoy a drink at the Nyetimber Sky Bar, one of the most unique bars in the UK, serving a range of fine drinks from Sussex including Nyetimber, an award winning sparkling wine.
At beach level is the stylish Belle Vue restaurant with sea views and a large terrace, serving delicious food created from the best ingredients of Sussex. Afternoon tea can be enjoyed in the traditional West Pier Tea Room, housed in a reproduction tollbooth from the original West Pier built in 1866. Our shop has an interesting range of gifts and souvenirs, many created by local Brighton artists.
We also have a range of event spaces for corporate events, functions and weddings.
- To maintain all mechanical and electrical equipment at the site, liaising with third party suppliers where appropriate, including (but not limited to) the vertical cable car, CCTV, heating / cooling (HVAC), AV / sound system, Fire systems, Intruder alarm systems, access control system etc.
- To complete the daily start up checks and cleaning for the vertical cable before the start of the daily operation (including climbing up ladders to reach the basement or top of the tower).
- To contribute to the annual closure period of the attraction including planned maintenance and the annual safety certification process to achieve our statutory obligations working closely with our checking engineers (Jacobs) and manufacturers such as Poma and Hollandia.
- To support the Facilities and Maintenance manager when required with the management of a number of key third party facilities contracts including (but not limited to) Poma, remote monitoring/ security, CCTV, IT support and rope access to ensure they comply with the terms of service level agreements.
- To collaborate with the Operational team, Sales team and Procurement Manager to ensure the smooth running of the operation.
- To assist in the monitoring of all faults and any ride downtime.
- To assist with the completion of preventative maintenance schedule.
- This list is not exhaustive. We are a small ‘start up’ team and the role may evolve over time. A flexible and willing attitude is vital.
Your skills, experience and personal qualities
- You must have a minimum of 3 years maintenance experience with a background in mechanical or electrical field and you must display an interest in the other engineering discipline. Ideally you will have gained this experience in maintaining rides at a visitor attraction or from a commercial facilities background (although this is not necessary as training will be given).
- You must have an appropriate academic or professional qualification in a mechanic, electrician or other engineering field.
- You will have the ability to react well under pressure and to stay calm and rational in emergency situations.
- You will have the aptitude to learn new systems, understand technical manuals, and you will enjoy technical problem solving and being an expert in systems.
- You will be a team player with great communication skills, with a hands on attitude, willing to muck in and to help out to make sure that the venue stays open and the operation runs smoothly at all times.
- You must be a self-starter who is able to work without direct day-to-day supervision, but equally you must be a team player able to work effectively with colleagues at British Airways i360, at our suppliers and broader team.
- A full and clean driving license is required, as well as a full passport with the right to travel to Europe without needing a visa.
- This role requires a high level of physical fitness, as it involves manual handling and climbing on ladders. Therefore, you will be required to pass a fitness test, occupational health screening and medical assessment.
Job location and hours
The role is based at British Airways i360, Kings Road, Brighton BN1 2LN. You will also work at our off site warehouse in the wider Brighton area.
You will be expected to travel occasionally to Europe for training and meetings with our manufacturers, as well as to travel within the UK to meet suppliers.
This is not a 9 to 5 role. It will involve working as a technical duty manager on a roster basis, and therefore will include working weekends and evenings. However main working hours will be early mornings before the attraction opens.
You will also need to be ‘on call’ at times.
The annual maintenance period will be in January and therefore the successful candidate will not be able to take holiday during this period.
Successful candidates will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement before starting work for British Airways i360.
The salary is up to £27,500 depending on experience, plus a competitive benefits package.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a letter explaining why you would like this job and why you are the right person for the job, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we are unable to respond to everyone due to the high number of applications we receive, however we will be in touch if we want to take your application further.