Visitors to British Airways i360 can take to the skies and see Brighton and the south coast as they have never seen them before. Guests glide up slowly from ground level to 138m (450ft) to enjoy breathtaking 360° views of the city, the South Downs and the English Channel.
At the base of the viewing tower is one of Brighton’s best located restaurants, West Beach. The beachfront restaurant offers some of the city’s finest sea views and focuses on freshly cooked, locally sourced dishes. The site also features West Beach Cafe Bar, a casual day time cafe that has a spectacular sun terrace.
The West Beach Restaurant Manager is accountable for the overall efficient operation of the restaurant and the Cafe Bar. You will ensure that service and food quality are consistent and of the highest standard, and give every guest a great experience. This will be achieved by building, leading and developing a high-performance team – well trained, knowledgeable, highly skilled and highly motivated. The results of this will be the generation of growing revenue and profit which achieve or exceed targets.
Key responsibilities and tasks
- Guest service and experience should always be the primary focus. Continually review via observation and review platforms and maintain an improvement programme to ensure an excellent guest experience is achieved, for all guests, always. This will be measured via customer feedback, increased bookings and increased return custom.
- Be a high-profile inspirational leader of the front of house team, leading from the front and setting the standards for the business from which others can follow. Engender a positive and constructive team spirit which motivates the team and drives a high-performance culture.
- Ensure that the high standards set are consistent and on brand across all aspects of the operation, including the food, the restaurant furniture / layout, team uniforms, quality and efficiency of service, promotional material, marketing messaging.
- Develop a strong effective team within the restaurant & café, including recruitment, induction, training, regular appraisals and on-going personal development.
- Ensure that the right supervision team are in place, well trained and motivated, working effectively and supportively together to drive performance and enhance the customer experience.
- Work effectively and efficiently across all departments and functions of the business.
- Ensure that a robust communication process is established and maintained to facilitate and encourage effective and timely communication within the team, to senior management and with other departments within the business.
- Working alongside the Head Chef to develop menus, providing customer feedback, understanding the local/national market and trends, and ensuring that our offer is appropriate to our guest base.
- Be the primary purchaser of liquor / beverages and supporting the Head Chef in the purchasing of some food items. These should be done with full consideration to the agreed cost of sales targets
- Understand and use the restaurant & café financial information, including; monthly, weekly and daily performance against budgets for revenue and costs. Monitoring, developing and managing performance with support and guidance from the Head of Catering & Events.
- Manage the business in line with set KPIs.
- Ensure that the business has tight financial controls whether cash or electronic, with robust checks and monitors in place.
- Responsible for ensuring that daily, weekly & monthly rotas and set and maintained, and that holidays are booked and taken in a balanced way. Ensure correct staffing levels to provide excellent customer service, complete tasks and be within budget.
- Ensure payroll & purchasing costs are controlled within agreed budgets. Ensure that the monthly payroll process to followed and that all issues are resolved.
- Responsible for managing wets and liquor stocktakes, reporting and challenging on any variances and taking corrective action as required.
- Ensure that operational best practises are in place to minimise food wastage and out of life stock.
- Challenge upwardly with ideas, trends and development, working closely with the Head of Catering & Event, plus the marketing team to drive restaurant and café marketing channels & strategy.
- Lead daily social media activities supported by Head of Catering & Events and the marketing team.
- Ensure that all aspects of the business are always clean, safe and comply with all legal requirements and health and safety regulations.
- Manage all till systems, usage, programming equipment and devises to ensure that they are appropriate, sufficient, and up to date for operational requirements.
- Ensure back of house store areas are clean, tidy and safe.
- Be innovative and drive restaurant & cafe improvements, focusing on guest experience and ROI.
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required and that fall within the scope and range of the job.
The role reports into the Head of Catering & Events.
Qualities / Skills required
- At least 2 years’ experience in similar high-volume operation.
- To be customer focused, building rapport with our guests.
- A motivator, leading the team from the front, building trust within the team.
- An excellent communicator with their own team, customers and senior management.
- To have good financial understanding of all numbers including daily sales, budget and P&L
- Be commercially minded and understand the importance of ROI.
- To be a positive and self-motivated, resilient and responsive.
- Have strong organisational skills and the ability to prioritise workload and tasks effectively, allowing for, but minimising, reactivity.
- A proven track record in managing and developing similar restaurant operations.
- To have a sound working knowledge of all systems required in operating a restaurant business. Be experienced in using and have competence with Microsoft Office, till and online booking systems.
Job location and hours
This is a full-time role based at British Airways i360, Lower Kings Road, Brighton BN1 2LN.
£28,000 to £30,000 pa
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 13th August, 2021.